Where are the Galapagos Islands located?
You may have probably heard from movies, books or even Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution about the amazing Galapagos Islands. Now you are wondering where are the Galapagos Islands and how to get there. The Galapagos Islands are located 1000 km off Ecuador’s coast in the Pacific Ocean. The Galapagos archipelago consists of 13 major islands, 6 smaller islands and many islets. The Galapagos Islands are formed by volcanic activity and the government declared the islands a national park in 1959, covering 97% of the land area. The remaining 3% are inhabited islands like Santa Cruz, San Cristobal, Isabela and Floreana Islands. Therefore tourism in the Galapagos Islands is extremely regulated to minimise any impact on the environment. The waters surrounding the islands are also declared as a marine reserve.
How do I travel to the Galapagos Islands?
In order to travel to the Galapagos Islands, you must either fly from Quito, the capital of Ecuador or from Guayaquil. There are no international flights flying directly to the Galapagos Islands. There are two airports in Galapagos with flights to mainland Ecuador – Baltra airport and San Cristóbal airport. Check out more about flights to Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands here. The map below will give you a better idea of how to travel to the Galapagos Islands.
Check out our travel offers below! You can combine and design you journey as you wish. If you have any questions or need help, don’t hesitate to contact us.