Quito is situated in the northern part of Ecuador, in the midst of the breathtaking Andean mountain range. On a day tour from Quito, you can easily visit five different unique vegetation zones listed below.
- Tierra Nevada – Also known as the place of eternal snow, it is located at about 4000 metres with an average temperature of around freezing point. This day tour allows you to visit volcanoes like Cotopaxi, Antisana or Cayambe.
- Páramo – Tierra Helada (frozen earth) is an area which experiences the most intense night frost. Located at 3600 metres, lichen, moose and rosette grow aplenty here. To visit this area, a day tour from Quito to Cayambe-Coca-Nationalpark and to the Papallacta Hot Springs is highly recommended.
- Tierra Fria (cold earth) is a vegetation zone which begins from 2000 metres. This area experience high levels of humidity where orchids, bromeliads and grasslands thrive and bloom. This area can be visited on a day tour from Quito to Latacunga.
- Tierra Templada is located between 900 and 2000 metres. This area experience moderate temperature with relatively high levels of rainfall in the cloud forest. Visit this zone on a day tour from Quito to Mindo!
- Tierra Caliente (warm earth) – located at the coast and in the Amazon below 900 metres, this area is evergreen with a humid tropical climate. We highly recommend a day tour from Quito to Santo Domingo.
Below is a list of our best-selling day tours in Quito: